Police Chief Ticonderoga New York
Town of Ticonderoga
The Town of Ticonderoga is seeking to immediately fill the full-time position of Police Chief. The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of experience, comprehensive knowledge of modern principles and practices of police work and police administration; thorough knowledge of the New York State Penal Law, Code of Criminal Procedure, Vehicle and Traffic Law, knowledge of scientific methods of crime detection and criminal investigation; demonstrated ability to lead and direct the activities of Police Officers; ability to interpret the work of the police department and to maintain cooperative relationships with other municipal officials and with the general public; resourcefulness; high social intelligence; sound judgment; integrity and excellent moral character and the ability to successfully pass the competitive Civil Service examination for the position of Police Chief. The successful candidate would initially be hired on a provisional basis, prior to taking the aforementioned competitive exam.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the purview of the Police Commission, formulate departmental rules and procedures and issues general orders to the department;
- Review activities and reports of Police Sergeants and Police Officers;
- Plan assignments of subordinates to achieve maximum police coverage and departmental efficiency. Direct and participate in the training of subordinate officers and civilian staff. Carry out corrective action and discipline on subordinate staff, when necessary;
- Maintain liaison with State Police, Sheriff’s Department, Essex County District Attorney’s Office and other law enforcement agencies;
- Plans and directs the preparation of federal and state reports on activities of the Police Department. Present to and ensure the Police Commission is kept abreast of Police Department activities;
- Dispenses information to the public regarding departmental policies and activities and maintains contact with individuals and groups in the community regarding matters affecting police activities;
- Perform hands-on policing activities, as needed;
- Prepare, maintain and ensure compliance with a detailed departmental budget. Present to the Town Board during budget process;
- Supervises and plans the maintenance of all departmental records and recommends the purchase of necessary supplies and equipment.
Promotion Qualifications: Twenty-four months of permanent competitive status as a Police Sergeant.
Minimum Qualifications: Twenty-four months of experience in a title that requires the supervision of staff within a Police Department in New York State or the New York State Police.
"…Notwithstanding the provisions of any other section of law, general, special or local, in political subdivisions maintaining a police department serving a population of one hundred fifty thousand or less, no person shall be eligible for appointment nor shall he or she be appointed to any rank above the rank of police officer unless he or she has been appointed a police officer from an eligible list established according to merit and fitness as provided by section six of article five of the constitution of the state of New York or has previously served as a member or the New York State Police.”
The Town of Ticonderoga offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Submission Requirements: Applicants must complete a Town of Ticonderoga job application and submitted via email or mail to:
Tonya Thompson, Town Clerk
132 Montcalm Street
Ticonderoga, NY 12883
The Town of Ticonderoga is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Police Chief City of Lockport, New York
Lockport, New York Chief of Police